Monday, January 4, 2010

The Ten of Twenty Ten


OK...so that list is just too short...and a tad depressing.
A more fun approach might be the(my) most study-able ten flicks...The 10 of 2010...that can function as how-to templates for a quirky director-to be such as myself. These aren't the "best" or my absolute favorites...more a grouping of skillsets and personal experiences that made these just a bit more worthy than the rest. Worst case - I end up knowing far too much about a handful of geniuses and write a book someday...best case...this cat becomes a respected filmmaker...
In no order...Citizen Kane - This (like Casablanca)is worthy of it's stature. You want to understand film language...watch Kane...read something about it...then watch it again. I feel like I'm in a film course that Orson Welles is teaching...forever. To open a film with the death of the protagonist and an outline of the plot might seem ..well - crazy ..but each time, I am more intrigued by Kane...Why? Is it the writing? Is it the technical mastery? Does Tarantino's assembly of Pulp Fiction differ much from this? Brilliant. Next...Steven Spielberg's "Duel"...

No comments: